Saturday, March 31, 2012

It Started With My Magic Bullet And A Pear {Shrimp Stir fry with Asian Pear Sauce}

Shrimp Stir fry with Asian Pear Sauce
OK, well I guess it's inevitable that a little of our diet will pop in here... but only to the extent that I have really good food to tell you about AND it was created by overcoming the challenges my current parameters are creating.... and I imagine the "sticker" shock so-to-speak will wear off quickly.  So, do you look at labels?  I apparently usually don't.  I think in some ways ignorance was certainly bliss... because this avoiding sugar and white flour and trans-fats in all their evil forms is KILLING me.  It's all EVERYWHERE.  EVERYTHING has Sugar in the first 4 ingredients IF it has a label.  That said, I had to think outside the box on my stir-fry sauce because no hoisin, no teriyaki, no bottled stir-fry sauce, no adding some brown sugar to my soy sauce.... ay yi yi, I really had to THINK.  Then I remembered this sauce I had whipped up to go with an an Asian appetizer once that everyone raved about and it started with my Magic Bullet and a pear, so that's where I started tonight and here is where it took me.





WHAT YOU NEED:
for the stir-fry:
4 stalks bok choy, sliced in 1/2 inch increments up to where leaves start {I bag the leaves to use another time, I don't like them in a stir-fry]
9 stalks asparagus, ends cut off and discarded and then cut into 3 inch segments
1 zucchini, skin on, cut into 3 inch spears
1/2 cup carrots, I cheated and used pre-cut crinkle cuts
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced [I had baby bellas on hand]
You don't need to slice too small
1 lb. shrimp, uncooked, peeled and de-veined, tail on
for the sauce:
1 Asian pear & 1 Golden Delicious apple, both sliced pretty thick with skin on [leave behind cores]
2 thick slices of red onion
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Mirin
1 tsp dry ginger
1/2 tsp Five Spice Powder


WHAT YOU DO:

    • If you are serving over brown rice you need to get that going before you do anything, rice will take 45 minutes but this stirfry from start to finish only maybe 25 minutes on the outside including chopping.
    • Start with your sauce, cram all of it into your food processor of choice {we all know what mine is} and puree the heck out of it.  It's done, set aside. 
    • When you have 12-15 minutes left on your rice timer, put your sesame oil in your wok or oversized saute pan {I used the latter for no reason in particular tonight} and heat over medium high heat.  When hot, add your "tougher veggies" which in my assortment is everything but the mushrooms.  Saute, stirring constantly {get it? STIR fry :)} for approximately 5-8 minutes.
    • Then add your sauce, stir to coat and then your shrimp and mushrooms and stir until shrimp are done {pink} this should not take longer than 5 minutes, probably closer to 3.
    • Remove from heat and serve over rice {I used brown}.

    REALLY YUM.  and no ADDED sugar.... 

    p.s. My plated pictures were beyond bad... you'll have to imagine.




    Pin It! Print Friendly and PDF

    2 comments:

    1. Thank you so much for the award!! I like your blog too! Your recipes are so flavorful. I learn a lot by reading them!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. you are so awesome I was glad to have found you, hope you'll pop by here and there as I know I will!

        Delete