Thursday, March 15, 2012

Learn Something New Every Day {Quinoa Primavera Recipe}

Quinoa a/k/a KEEN~wa Primavera
I think it's your best friend's job to teach you things privately, if you decide to subject yourself to public ridicule AFTER then that's your choice.  That said, perhaps I should be upset that not FIVE minutes after my most recent "lesson" I called her house and her 16 year old answered the phone mocking me.  I mean she must hae been telling the story BEFORE she shut the front door!  Just wrong. 


So, what did I learn today?  Well, first I learned that Quin-O-A is really Keen-wa.  um, ya.  A little embarrassing {I NOW see that little phonetic thing on the bag}.  Then, I learned how to cook it, not so embarrassing :)


Funny thing is last few trips to the store I've apparently had the same thought when in the Quinoa section.... "I think I'll try that!" and I then buy it and bring it home and put it away and see that I already bought one, still unused.... so, with three bags of KEEN-wa in my cabinet it was time to try it or start selling it.  I poked around got some ideas and inspiration and this is what I ended up making.  I'll call it Quinoa Primavera.

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED:
1 14 oz. bag Quinoa
5 cups water
-----
5 chicken breasts cut into strips
2 tsp kosher salt
1 bunch of asparagus, tough ends cut off & discarded
1 cup frozen corn {or two ears fresh if you have it}
1/2 onion, diced
1 TBSP olive oil
4-5 sprigs of tarragon {leaves only}
-----
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup frozen peas
1 TBSP minced garlic

NOTE:  I always make a lot so cutting this in half is for 4, 
I thought it would make a good snack/lunch 
so I made the whole bag and had a fair amount left over.

Start the Quinoa & water in a medium sauce pan on high until it reaches a boil then reduce to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes until Quinoa is tender and water is absorbed.  Set aside.


In large saute pan, heat oil then saute chicken over medium high heat until exterior no longer pink {approximately 5 minutes}.  Add salt, asparagus, corn & onion and continue saute for 8 minutes on medium {I covered for part of the time}.


While vegetables sauteing, puree the peas, stock & garlic in your mini-processor {I used my Magic Bullet.... if you don't have one, you should consider, I LOVE it and use it for all sorts of things, grinding spices, chopping nuts, smoothies, etc.}.   I digress, Add the puree to the pan and mix well, although to cook for about a minute before folding in the Quinoa and mixing until well coated.


It was very good and I'm told...... shhhhhhh *healthy*

Pin It! Print Friendly and PDF