Monday, February 27, 2012

Sh$t MY Dad Says {Fried Chicken Recipe}

David thinks it would be therapeutic for me to add a Sh$t My Dad Says element to the blog.... and I don't mean to infringe on the original Shit My Dad Says but quite frankly my Dad says plenty of sh$t too.  And often it's  his commentary on my menu.... because apparently my Dad "had enough rice to last him a lifetime in Saipan...." and according to Mel "all I EVER cook is chicken."  Now, some of this he doesn't actually say to me but rather to anyone else who will listen.  I hear him answer the phone with his buddy and he'll say, "nope, we had PIZZA tonight instead of chicken" implying he talks about it enough that it's what they say to each other instead of "Hello." I've had reports from guests at parties that the old ba$tard {I use this as a pet name --it's not as harsh as it may seem at first blush} thought it was ok to complain that I cook too much chicken, I mean I'm thinking I'd be happy to cook steak and lobster all the time if he was buyin'.  Yeah, my Dad says some sh$t alright and believe it or not it's relevant to this post and I'll get there eventually.  


So, regardless of the second-hand heckling from the old guy, I still cook chicken.  Possibly even more *grin* and no one will dispute that I make some pretty awesome Fried Chicken.... it's my adaptation of Paula Deen's recipe. It's really cheap, easy and yummy.  I don't make it too often because it's really not so healthy and it's oh so messy & quite time consuming but when Kyra stalks me for approximately 5 weeks I break down.

Here's what you need:Fried Chicken
1 family size package drumsticks {usually has about 12-13}
kosher salt
granulated garlic
pepper
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 gallon peanut oil


Pour the peanut oil into a large stock pot, should be 4 inches deep or so and turn to high.


Prepare your chicken.  I open it and leave on the Styrofoam tray for first part.... generously salt, garlic & pepper the chicken, then flip on the tray and do the other side.  Whisk the two eggs in a bowl and put the flour in a large Ziploc.  Then, one at a time, roll the chicken legs in the egg and then gently shake in the flour.  Laying them on a clean tray as you complete them.  After you've done about 4 check the oil temperature with a kitchen thermometer without touching the tip to the bottom of the pot, if you were moving steadily along it should be at or around 350F.  I use an instant read digital thermometer, they aren't very expensive but very handy.  Anyhow, if it's to temperature then add one at a time the 4 legs you completed, reduce the burner to medium high and set your timer for 14 minutes.


While that's cooking, complete the rest of the "flouring".  I don't cook more than 4 or 5 at a time to avoid overcrowding the pot.  If you decide to do white meat it only needs 8-9 minutes, dark meat takes longer.  I remove with tongs, hold to drain over the pot for a moment and put on a paper towel lined plate.


I almost never serve hot but rather room temperature.  It's equally good if cooked the day before and kept sealed over night, but bring it to room temperature before serving.
 So, what did my Dad say?  He said, "that chicken was really tasty last night, a nice change from all that dry white meat you usually serve."  Keep all sharp objects away from me please.





Pin It! Print Friendly and PDF