Thursday, June 28, 2012

THIRSTY THURSDAY & An AMAZING Guest Post {Grilled Peach Bourbon Old-Fashioned}

Well, to say I'm EXCITED about this post 
would be a superfragilisticexpialidocious understatement...
Today I'm introducing you to Jennie!
I've followed her blog forever but we "met" officially because Jennie is a fellow Food Story Judge just like CJ.
I simply adore her blog!
The Messy Baker... HA! The PERFECT Baker....
great stories, incredible photography and just one of my very happy places.
She'll be one of yours too so head on over AFTER you check out this 
A. MAY. ZING. Post :)

Thanks again Jennie!!

Hi, all! I'm Jennie from The Messy Bakerand I'm here filling in for Heidi while she's out of town. Can I just tell you how much I adore Heidi. Well, I do. She's the queen of cocktails, and always has something amazing shakin' up. I totally stalk her site for the best cocktail recipes. The girl has perfected my favorite cocktail, the mojito. In honor of Heidi and our love of cocktails, I decided to make a grilled peach bourbon old-fashioned. That's right, you heard me. Doesn't it sound delicious? It totally is! 

Someone once told me that Maker's Mark is the best.
 Turns out, the guy who gave me this information knew
what he was talking about. It's smooth and delicious. 
Hey, only the best for Heidi's followers.  
This cocktail isn't for the faint of hearts. 
It's a hardcore cocktail- the kind of cocktail
that'll put hair on your chest when you drink it. 
Okay, not that hardcore, but you get it. This here is a sippin' drink, so take it slow and enjoy the smooth bourbon as it warms your throat. This drink is extremely easy to put together. All you have to do is grill a few peach halves, then muddle them with some lime juice, sugar, and mint leaves. Add the bourbon, shake, and pour over ice. Sip until your heart's content. I feel sophisticated when I'm sippin' on this cocktail, like I should be sitting in a leather chair with an old book, puffing on a fat, imported cigar. But, hey, that's just me.  


Grilled Peach Bourbon Old-Fashioned 
adapted from Martha Stewart Living 
2 peaches 
2 tbs. lime juice (about the juice of 1 lime) 
2 tbs. sugar 
5 mint leaves 
6 ounces bourbon Club Soda, optional 


Cut peaches in half and discard the pit. Heat an indoor grill pan, gas grill, or charcoal grill. Grill the peaches flesh side down until just charred. Remove from heat and peel the skin off of two out of the four peach halves (don't worry, it's effortless). Slice the other other two halves for garnish. In a cocktail shaker, add lime juice, sugar, mint leaves, and 1 peach halve (save the other half for a second round). Muddle until the peach is broken up and the mint is bruised. Add the bourbon and shake. Pour the mixture over 4 ice-filled scotch glasses. Top with a slice of grilled peach and, if you like, a splash of club soda for fizz.


Pin It! Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God.
    Don't want to sound Janice like but with such a gorgeous recipe it is hard :D
    Stunning, stunning, stunning!

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god this sounds fantastic! such a great idea to grill the peaches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thx for an awesome post Jennie! But I gotta go check out da rum in da coconut now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing ans sounds that way, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennie ... Love the imagery of you in a leather chair with a cigar and bourbon :-)

    Heidi ... Great guest blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the lovely comments, everyone. CJ, I couldn't resist the leather chair imagery. This drink just reminded me of cigars, old books, and leather chairs. Heidi, you are so very welcome. I had a blast making this drink for you. I hope your having a cold one for me while you're at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennie, this looks amazing! Grilled peach muddled with mint? I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, now I want that. Not the hair on my chest but that drink and now! :)

    ReplyDelete