Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Slow Braise for a Lazy Day {Wine Braised Short Ribs}

Braised Short Ribs a la Tom
Planning ahead?  Then this is a great recipe... but you need to be planning.  I made this for dinner last Sunday, I spend probably an hour on Saturday PRE-marinade and then another hour on Sunday.... and that was just active time.  Was it worth it? I'd say yes.  BUT everyone [including me] thought MINE were better but these were good and I would make them again as an alternate to my beer braised short ribs... OH and did I mention these are my guy TOM's ribs? Well they are.... king of braised meat.... my hero :)


find his recipe here, but I changed very little



WHAT YOU NEED:
2 tablespoons olive oil
3-3 1/2 LBS. CHUCK SHORT RIBS, bone-in  
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, sliced
2 tsp celery seed
1 TBSP minced garlic
One 750-milliliter bottle red wine, I used a Shiraz
4 thyme sprigs
3 cups chicken stock


WHAT YOU DO:
In a large skillet, heat the oil. 
Season the ribs with salt and pepper. 
Add them to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, 
turning once, until browned and crusty, 
9 minutes per side {18 minutes total}. 
Transfer the ribs to a shallow baking dish in a single layer.
 I did mine in 2 batches so as to not crowd the pan.
Add the onion, carrots, celery seed 
and garlic to the skillet 
and cook over low heat, 
stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. 
Add the wine and thyme sprigs 
and bring to a boil over high heat. 
Pour the hot marinade over the ribs and let cool. 
Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning the ribs once.
NEXT DAY:
Preheat the oven to 350°. 
Transfer the ribs and marinade to a large, enameled cast-iron casserole. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover and cook in the lower third of the oven for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and braise for 45 minutes longer, turning the ribs once or twice, until the sauce is reduced by about half and the meat is very tender.
Transfer the meat to a clean shallow baking dish, discarding the bones as they fall off {I also trimmed off the tough membrane if it remained}. 
Strain the sauce into a glass cup and pour the sauce over the meat; there should be about 2 cups.
Preheat the broiler. Broil the meat, turning once after 5 minutes, for a total of 10 minutes. 
Transfer the meat to plates, spoon the sauce on top and serve.

MMMMM. I <3 u Tom.

Pin It! Print Friendly and PDF