Thursday, February 9, 2012

Mm ba ba de {Pressure Cooker Asian Short Ribs}

So, a couple months ago i got a Groupon deal o' the day notification for a pressure cooker for $20. I have always wanted one so I clicked BUY!
It arrived today {crazeeeee excited} and so I take you on my maiden voyage. David has insisted everyone vacate the kitchen in case things go awry, oh ye of little faith.... making everyone miss this moment in HISTORY!


As I write this I have everything in the cooker and it smells FABU, going smoothly. 
HERE'S WHAT I MADE:
Asian Beef Short Ribs 
1/2 coarsely chopped red onion
2 cups beef broth
2 packages beef short ribs 
{I used bone in because that's what I had}
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tsp sriracha hot sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon flour
chopped scallion {extremely optional}
I served with white rice


Add the onion and broth to pressure cooker, the directions said not to put in less than 2 cups liquid if cooking longer than 15 minutes, which you will be with short ribs. NEXT:
 
 Mix hoisin sauce, sriracha, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil in a large bowl; add ribs and toss to coat evenly. Transfer ribs and remaining sauce from bowl to cooker. 
Lock lid in place. Bring to high pressure over high heat. Cook 35 minutes. The directions talked about possibly needing to adjust the stove temperature to maintain pressure but I left on high the whole time.  NOTE:  My ribs were nearly frozen as this was a last minute menu decision so I added 10 minutes to the pressure/cook time.


Remove from heat. Let pressure come down naturally, took about 20 minutes.


Slowly release lid, standing back and allowing steam to escape, PHEW.... no casualties! 
Using tongs, transfer ribs to large shallow bowl. Tent with foil to keep warm. 


Bring sauce in cooker to boil; whisk in flour. Boil until sauce thickens, whisking often, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 
Put rice and rib(s) in bowls to serve and pour sauce over ribs; sprinkle with chopped scallion if you have [I did not!] and serve.

I LOVE THIS THING AND CANNOT WAIT TO PERFECT MY TECHNIQUES!


p.s. next time I would use boneless Short ribs on this recipe!




Pin It! Print Friendly and PDF