Saturday, February 25, 2012

Who says all chips in cookies need to be chocolate? {Potato Chip Cookie Recipe}


A few weeks back one of my favorite food bloggers posted a recipe for Potato Chip Cookies and it drew me right in..... I'm really not much of a potato chip eater but when I read the recipe I knew I had to save it to try.  I was totally that kid they talked about in the blog that put chips on their sandwiches.... for me it was bologna or "chicken roll" on white with chips.  L-O-V-E.

Not to digress too much but if you remember "chicken roll" I'd love you to comment.... I loved that "crap" {and I think that's a literal use} but I think it was banned by the FDA in the 80s sometime but it was my absolute favorite and somehow NO ONE remembers it.  BOO :(

Anyhow, back to cookies.  I had to try and they were so perfect, I HAD to share.


Thank you Smitten Kitchen for being the Rock Star Blogger you are! 
{I've only made a few tweaks }

Cookie
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature 

            {I had SALTED butter for some strange reason so I skipped the salt below}
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 

            {I used Madagascar of course}
1/4 teaspoon table salt 

            {I skipped, see above}
1/2 cup Candied Almonds WHICH ARE REALLY PERFECT IN THESE COOKIES

            {original recipe called for roasted pecan but this is what I had on hand}
1/2 cup finely crushed potato chips 

            {I used good old Clancy's and let them crush in the mixer}
2 cups all-purpose flour

Potato chip salt finish {I did this only on first half... it's a bit much UNLESS you dip}
1 tablespoon crushed potato chips {these I crushed}
1 1/2 teaspoons flaked sea salt

Chocolate dip finish {I did this to half, really yummy in combo w/ the seasalt finish}
4 ounces semi- or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

             {I used Milk Chocolate chip cause that's what I had on hand}
1 teaspoon butter, canola oil or vegetable shortening

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. 

Line your baking sheet with parchment paper {I had waxed and used it with good results} and set aside. I used my Kitchen Aid with regular beater and creamed together the butter with 1/2 cup of the sugar until lightly and fluffy, then mixed in the vanilla until smooth. Add the pecans, 1/2 cup potato chips and flour together and mixed until a huge bowl of crumbly looking dough; it was moist though.

Place the remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a small bowl. Scoop a tablespoon-sized mound of dough and form it into a small ball with the palms of your hands. Roll the ball in the remaining sugar until coated. Place on prepared baking sheet and using the bottom of a drinking glass or measuring cup to slightly flatten the cookies. Cookies only need to be an inch apart; they only spread a little. Sprinkle with a few flakes of the potato chip salt. 
Ready to go!



Bake cookies until lightly golden at the edges, about 15 minutes. Transfer to cool on a wire rack.

If dipping in chocolate, melt chocolate with butter, oil or shortening in a double boiler or in short bursts in the microwave {I do it this way-- 30 seconds, stir, repeat}. Stir until smooth. Dip half of each fully cooled cookie in the chocolate, and let dry and harden on a wire rack. 



Pin It! Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha!! I STILL put potato chips in sandwiches. Must try this.

    ReplyDelete