Sunday, February 5, 2012

Red Velvet Brownie Showdown

NOTE:  For some reason my photos
are NOT showing how red the brownies
were.... I know, I suck.  But I'm TRYING
I love a purpose.  Even if there's really no purpose to my purpose.  That's how I roll.


My friend Leslie challenged me to find the best Red Velvet Brownie. After much googling, I found it really came down to Complex vs Simple.   So, I spent all day having a bake off.... against myself.  Sounds stupid, but it was a fun day.  


And after the crowds (ok my family) did their blind taste test the answer across the board was SIMPLE, albeit not so simple for ME to get to that!


And so I present, SIMPLY the best Red Velvet Brownie.... and gosh it was yummy.


I must give the appropriate nod to the Restless Chipotle whose Grandma apparently this recipe was adapted from..... I only made a couple tweaks, based on her blog comments and my             preferences.... but I kept it simple :)



YOU WILL ONLY NEED:
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon MADAGASCAR vanilla
2 eggs
2 oz red food coloring
1 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa
pinch of salt
1/2 cup white chocolate chips


Preheat your oven to 350F and
generously butter a 8 inch square pan.


I used my Kitchen Aid.... which I heart so very much....cream the sugar and melted butter until smooth, then add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each, then add the food coloring, once blended add the flour, cocoa and salt.

Pour the batter in the pan, it should be fairly thick.  Sprinkle the white chocolate chips over the top then use a knife to loosely stir the chips in so they all all covered with batter but not "shoved to the bottom."
Bake 30-35 minutes.


I allowed to cool in the pan then loosened the edges with a knife and they came out easily for icing.




The SIMPLE Frosting also prevailed.... yes, I cut the contenders in half and iced in BOTH COMPLEX & SIMPLE icing.... I know, I'm troubled.


Thanks to Southern Living for this recipe :)


YOU WILL ONLY NEED:
1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened 
                                                                             
3 tablespoons butter, softened 
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon MADAGASCAR vanilla 


Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed until creamy, then add powdered sugar and mix well, once combined mix in vanilla. VOILA!


Now, even though it didn't WIN, I LOVED this other icing...... and I will make it again.... when I'm feeling more COMPLEX ...Thanks to Smells Like Home

White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar added 1/2 cup at a time
1 tsp pure MADAGASCAR vanilla extract
4 oz good-quality white chocolate, melted – I used Ghirardelli
2 tbsp heavy cream

To make the frosting:
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until soft and fluffy then beat in the vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add in powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time; allow the sugar to mix in before adding the next 1/2 cup. Once all of the sugar has been added, beat on medium speed for 30 seconds and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add in the melted white chocolate and beat on medium speed until incorporated. With the mixer on low, add in heavy cream 1 tbsp at a time and beat at medium speed until the frosting has reached your desired consistency.

FEELING COMPLICATED on the Brownie?  You really shouldn't..... it was way cake like... But you should look at the ingredients to know they WILL not create a brownie.... don't fall for it :)



2 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 t baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
3 large eggs
7 ounces-unsalted butter
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp. red food coloring
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract










GOOD NIGHT.... CONGRATS MY NY FAN FRIENDS 



Pin It! Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. I am sad the White Chocolate icing did not win. I got excited when I saw white chocolate was involved. Cakey brownies are my preference. I will make these for valentines day. Hopefully they will go over better than my red velvet whoopie pies did last year. Thnx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sad too.... it was my pick.... I could eat a bucket of it LOL. The other recipe was not just a "cakey" brownie though.... It was CAKE

      Delete