Wednesday, March 14, 2012

When Life Gives You Lemons {The Limoncello Journey}


 This week lemons were on sale at Aldi's and so you know it, the Old Guy brought home a bag.  I thought to myself "what the heck to do with all those lemons?" After posting an S.O.S. it was suggested I make Limoncello.  I thought, hmmmmm that could be fun.  Then this morning, as though the stars were aligned, my Cousin Addie started posting recipes for Limoncello drinks on Pinterest because she has a bottle she "needs to get rid of".  So, in perusing them I found one with champagne that I think will be a fab addition to my Easter brunch.  Yes, this  is how my brain works, not unlike a game of dominoes.

  • And so, I'm gettin' busy as while there is a HUGE range of recipes out there they all agree on one thing.... it takes TIME.  I figure, my minimum is about 3 weeks {NEXT year I'll start this with the first day of Lent} and so today is the day.

I'm also going to do this post segmented in case any one wants to join in... oh come on 40 cents for a BAG of lemons at Aldi's!!!!

I digress, shocking I know.  Half the recipes I found called for grain alcohol & half vodka.... since I have no grain alcohol "hanging around" I'm going conservative and using Vodka {Stoli to be exact}, I'm also going small since this is my maiden voyage.... and only making a half batch.

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TODAY:
  • 5 lemons
  • 1/2 750ml vodka

HERE'S WHAT YOU DO:  Zest the lemons and place zest into a large glass bottle or jar. Pour in vodka. Cover loosely and let infuse for one week-ten days at room temperature.

NOTE:  all the sites I read said use a peeler not a zester & avoid the white pith to the extent possible.  I peeled "lightly."
See you NEXT Week, I'm going long so I won't be doing until Sunday

Be prepared with:  1 & 1/2 cups white sugar & 1 & 3/4 cups water.... it's going to be AWESOME!


**************to be continued

I'm baaaaaaccccccccccck!


So, take 1 & 1/2 cups white sugar & 1 & 3/4 cups water and bring them to a boil, WITHOUT stirring let it boil for 10 minutes.  Then remove from heat but leave in it's pot until cool {an hour or so}.  Once cool stir vodka mixture into syrup; strain into a glass bottle and seal.  DONE.  Let mixture age for 2 weeks at room temperature....

See you Easter!
Pin It! Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome! You saved me a plane ticket to Italy. Unfortunately now I am at least 3 weeks behind your timeline.

    ReplyDelete