Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My BFF's BSP {Shepherd's Pie Recipe}


Shepherd's Pie a la MaryAnn
There are days when you just need that comfort food, nothin' fancy, nothin' particularly healthy just plain old yummy.  Today is one of those days.  Not to digress but every article I read about blogging says YUMMY is a huge No-No and to lose it from your vocabulary IMMEDIATELY.  But I cannot stop.  So, I guess I'm destined to fail.... but I'll go down in a burst of yumminess,  that I can assure you.  


Back to business, My BFF shared her BSP {Best Shepherd's Pie} with me..... and it was so flippin' yummy, I'm sharing it with you.  I'm hoping if we suck up sufficiently that NEXT she'll share her Chocolate Cake recipe, but in the meanwhile....


BEST SHEPHERD'S PIE
HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED:
for the top
· 2 pounds potatoes, such as russet, peeled and cubed
· 2 tablespoons butter
· 1 large egg yolk
· 1/2 cup cream, for a lighter version or as I like to say.... to miss the                 whole point of comfort food.... substitute vegetable or chicken broth
· Salt and ground black pepper
for the bottom· 2 pounds ground beef or ground turkey
· 3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped {I cheated and used the pre-cut crinkle ones}
The "Best" says Mar
· 1 onion, chopped finely
· 4 tablespoons butter
· 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
· 2 cup beef stock 
· 2 TBSP Worcestershire
· 1/2 38. oz. can Hanover brand but green beans {MaryAnn says they are THE BEST and I most concede they are quite yum and better than that they were a buck less than DelMonte}
· 1 teaspoon each kosher salt & pepper
· 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves


HERE'S WHAT YOU DO:
for the top

  • Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. 
  • Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl with the butter. 
  • Combine egg yolk and cream. 
  • Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth. {I do this all in my Kitchen Aid rather than mash}

for the bottom
  • While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add beef or turkey. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes.  
  • Add chopped carrot and onion to the meat. Cook veggies with meat 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently. 
  • In a second small skillet over medium heat cook butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Stir in green beans.
  • Preheat broiler to low. 
  • Fill a rectangular casserole or 9 x 13 with meat and vegetable mixture 
  • {I used a throwaway tin pan because I wanted to be done with dishes}; Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. 
  • Broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned {about 5-7 minutes}. 
  • Top casserole dish with chopped parsley and serve. 
    one "complete", one half way there
    waiting on the potatoes




Pin It! Print Friendly and PDF