Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cooking Light? You Must Have the Wrong Blog {Cajun Shrimp Stuffed Potatoes}


  • I buy A LOT of magazines... and a lot of wrapping paper, I mean I have three kids in school, sports & scouts.  That's a lot of fundraisers.  So, the majority of my support comes back to us in reams of magazines.  And I try to go through ALL the cooking ones I receive:  Bon Appetit, Food & Wine, Southern Living, Martha, Food Network and yes, Cooking Light.  I tear out what I like and ditch the remainder {usually to a Flight Attendant}.  Last flight I found an article in Cooking Light on Stuffed Potatoes and so I tried it today for a luncheon my friend, Barbie, & I were catering... she was even awesome enough to take a great picture for me as they went out the door  :)  We ALL {including the client} gave these 2 thumbs up!
  • WHAT YOU NEED:
  • baking potatoes (about 3 pounds)
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 medium yellow onion,  chopped 
  • 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 3/4 cup (6 ounces) whipped cream cheese
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • 2 tsp thyme
  • 1 pound cooked shelled & de-veined shrimp, cut in half {thawed if using frozen}

WHAT YOU DO:

  1. 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
  2. 2. Pierce potatoes with a fork; brush olive oil. Bake at 450° for 50 minutes or until tender. Remove potatoes from oven; cool slightly. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise, and scoop pulp out of skins, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell. Place pulp in a large bowl; VERY coarsely mash pulp {leave lots of chunks}.
  3. 3. Preheat broiler to high.
  4. 4. [note: this step is easily a make ahead component] Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery to pan; sauté for 4 minutes. Add garlic and next 4 ingredients (through red pepper); sauté 1 minute.  Turn heat to low, add cheese, butter, and herbs, stirring until smooth.  Add shrimp and heat through {about a minute}.
  5. 5. Stir cheese mixture and crawfish into potato pulp. Place roughly 1/2 cup crawfish mixture in each potato shell. Arrange stuffed potatoes on a baking sheet. Broil for 5 minutes or until browned.
ENJOY.
Pin It! Print Friendly and PDF