Monday, January 30, 2012

Have I mentioned I adore Tarragon? {Chicken in Tarragon Cream Sauce Recipe}

A while back I started French Wednesday as a weekly event.... it's evolved into Tarragon Tuesday.  It's quite simple.  I adore Tarragon, it really makes me happy to cook with it.  It's the smell. I can't even classify it but it is REALLY aromatic.  Fresh Tarragon of course is the best but even dried Tarragon will waft up and getcha.  I will say, Farmer PopPop has had a hell of a time growing it fast enough..... I have EVERY other spice out back but he cannot seem to keep me in Tarragon..... hmmmm I wonder where the problem lies?

That said, this is a great quick weeknight dinner.... the rice takes longer than the chicken.  So start your rice, I use my trusty rice steamer and set it for 45 minutes then start your prep.  

Here's what you'll need to serve 4

Tarragon Chicken
4 chicken breasts
1 TBSP Olive Oil
Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
2 TBSP Unsalted Butter
1/2 medium onion diced
20 baby carrots cut in half lengthwise
12 Asparagus stalks cut in 4 pieces [throw away dry end]
2 TBSP chopped fresh parsley [or 2 tsp dry]
2 TBSP chopped fresh tarragon [or 2 tsp dry]
1 1/2 cups white wine [use a sweeter one like a Riesling]
3/4 c. Half & Half

Editorial Comment:  Let me say, I really don't count my stalks or carrots.... but I'm giving you a count as a guide.  If you like asparagus more.... use more, if you prefer peas to asparagus.... sub them out.  This is really about what you & your family like, so don't turn the page if you hate asparagus just substitute, this recipe would be awesome with any veggies or mushrooms.

On with dinner, heat your oil in a large, deep saute pan over medium high while you cut your chicken breasts into 3 pieces.  Generously kosher salt and pepper the breasts then add to the pan in a single layer.  Brown both sides, approximately 2-3 minutes per side then remove to a dish with tongs.  

As an aside, I never use a fork when cooking meat.  I read it somewhere.... probably Bobby Flay the Grill Master :) but I read you shouldn't pierce your meat while cooking and I believe it to be true.  It makes sense to me, you poke holes, juice runs out, it's then dry meat YUK..... so remove your meat with tongs to a dish, the sides may still have some pink, that's ok, you're not done.



Chicken is resting, add butter to pan, melt, then add onion, veggies and spices.  Saute over Medium heat for about 5 minutes.


Then increase heat to medium high, add wine, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer for few minutes before adding the chicken back.  Stir and cover.  Cook at a simmer for 10-15 minutes then stir in half & half.  


Allow half & half to heat for a few minutes, then serve over rice.  Be generous with the sauce.... it's TO. DIE. FOR. Well, maybe not die.  But it's darn good.



Pin It! Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Tarragon is fantastic. I'm going to have to try this some day.

    ReplyDelete