Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Red or Green? {Green Chili Stew Recipe}

One thing that I think most people would agree that is truly special about New Mexican cuisine is the Hatch Green Chili.  In the late summer/early fall the trucks are on the side of the road with roasters set up roasting the fragrant chili... and any time of year you can get it everywhere you can order food, and I do mean everywhere.... McDonalds even offers it on their cheeseburgers.  I've never understood why it hasn't spread across the borders and I do miss the days of being asked "Red or Green?"  Red chili being to me a "spicier" flavor and the green more like a pepper with zing.... and if you say "Christmas" means you want both.


We were definately a green family and I still slip it in my frittatas or caseroles but my favorite recipe is a Green Chili Stew recipe I adapted from Bill Phillip's Eating for Life, I make this all the time to have in the fridge for a healthy lunch choice and I almost always make a vat for David & the kids to throw in a crock-pot for dinner while I'm out of town {in NM eating green chili}.


HERE's WHAT YOU NEED:

  • 8 Cups chicken broth
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 1 Onion, finely chopped
  • 3-3 & 1/2 lbs. bone in chicken breast 
  • 2 Packages Turkey Gravy Mix {the original recipe called for Knorr's Chicken gravy but I can never find}
  • 4 Cans (7 oz) mild diced green chilies or 1 cup frozen green chili, diced
  • 6 Cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 Cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3 Cans (28 ounces) white hominy, drained
HERE'S WHAT YOU DO:

  • In a large pot, combine chicken broth and stock {I use a combo because I think it's more flavorful}, onion and chicken breasts. Heat to boiling over high heat. Then reduce heat to low and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken from the broth and set aside to cool.
    NOTE:  sometimes I substitute the chicken breast by using one of those grocery store roasted chickens with a Mojo or other fun flavor and just pick the meat where indicated below :)
  • Back to cooking:  Use whisk to blend the gravy mix into the broth. Then add chilies, garlic, cilantro, cumin and hominy. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then reduce heat to low. De-skin and de-bone the chicken and shred the meat, and add it back into the broth. 

    Now you have options:  
    Are you eating tonight? Cover and simmer for 40 minutes & enjoy....

    Is this a make ahead? put in your crockpot cover tightly with Saran wrap and then put it on low for the day in the next day or two for a wonderful smelling kitchen after work and a great meal.
    p.s. I serve it as is but you can add a dollop of sour cream & diced tomatoes/avocado & some warm tortillas if you're feeling ambitious.... 



Pin It! Print Friendly and PDF