Friday, February 24, 2012

Because people WANT to know.... {Tenant's Harbor Punch Recipe}

David:  Why are you blogging a drink at 8:30 a.m.
Me:  Because people want to know what I'm drinking tonight & if they want to JOIN me from afar they will need to stop by the store on the way home & grab some Aquavit {which I found at my local ABC liquor Store}. 

You see it's all about YOU.  I care deeply.  I'm a deeply caring person.  What show is that from?  I forget but it was funny.

Anyhow, I made this drink once as a test run before a party and decided my overall "audience" that night wouldn't have "gotten it" but if you're reading this I know YOU would.... It's an awesome, funky cocktail.

Original credits go to St. John Frizzell at Fine Cooking but I'm down scaling it from a vat to a small pitcher... a couple drinks, because I drink alone sometimes *gasp.  I will admit, this is no Jack & Coke, it is a small process, and you can't be DYING for a drink it takes about 90 minutes with proper chilling time but I thought it was worth it.

Tenant's Harbor Punch
1 lemon
1/8 cup granulated sugar
1/2 of a 750-ml bottle off-dry white wine ---I used a Reisling, chilled
1/4 cups aquavit, preferably Norwegian, such as Linie, chilled
6-8 fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
1/4 cucumber, preferably seedless variety] sliced about 1/8 inch thick
2/3 cup sparkling water, chilled





quite "snow" like
Zest the lemon. In a medium bowl, combine the lemon zest and the sugar, "stirring with a wooden spoon until the sugar is fragrant and has the texture of soft, fresh snow, about 10 minutes." I quoted old St. John here because you gotta LOVE that instruction! Add 1/8 cup boiling water to the bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar. Strain the syrup and let cool.


Chill, would u?

Now, Juice the lemon and strain the juice.
Combine the syrup, lemon juice, wine, aquavit, strawberries, and cucumbers in pitcher. Chill in the refrigerator for an hour. 


I promise.... so worth it.
When ready, put a few ice cubes in a pretty clear glass fill 2/3 with "punch" and top with sparkling water or club soda..... enjoy. 







p.s.  FOR A VAT that serves 10-12, served in a punch bowl follow same instructions with these measurements and just add the Sparkling Water when putting in punchbowl.
4-5 medium lemons
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 750-ml bottles off-dry white wine, such as Riesling, chilled
1-1/2 cups aquavit, preferably Norwegian, such as Linie, chilled
2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
1 cucumber, sliced about 1/8 inch thick
4 cups sparkling water, chilled






Pin It! Print Friendly and PDF